By the one who is denoted by the name Allah (who created my being with His Names in accord with the meaning of the letter ‘B’), the Rahman, the Rahim.
1. Whatever is in the heavens and the earth glorifies (tasbih) Allah (effectuates their servitude by manifesting the Names through the functions they serve).
2. It is He who drove out of their homes those among the people of the book who denied the knowledge of the reality, and who had gathered for war (before the war even began)... You never thought they would leave (their homes)... And they thought their fortresses would protect them against Allah! But Allah came to them from where they least expected and cast terror into their hearts! They pulled down their homes with their own hands and with the hands of the believers! Take a lesson from this, O you who have insight!
3. If Allah had not prescribed exile for them, He would surely have afflicted them with suffering in this world. But there is the suffering of the Fire for them in the eternal life.
4. For they separated themselves from Allah and His Rasul... And whoever severs his tie from Allah (denies the Names comprising his essence – his spirit – and his eternal life to come, and confines his existence to his mortal physical body) – then indeed, Allah is severe in retribution (Shadid al-Iqab)!
5. Whatever you have cut down of their (those who wanted to go to war) palm trees or left standing on their roots, it was by the permission of Allah (B-iznillah) for Him to disgrace and debase those with corrupt faith.
6. As for the spoils Allah gave to His Rasul from them, you neither spurred a horse nor rode a camel for them! But Allah directs His Rasuls upon whom He wills. Allah is Qadir over all things.
7. And the spoils Allah gave to His Rasul from the towns that were conquered without war are for the Rasul, his relatives, the orphans, the needy and the travelers... (Thus it has been decreed) so that (wealth) is not passed on only among the rich among you! Take whatever the Rasul gives you and refrain from what he forbids you... Protect yourselves from Allah (for He will most definitely subject you to the consequences of your deeds). Indeed, Allah is severe in recompense.
8. (Those spoils) are for the needy emigrants who have been expelled from their homes, seeking the bounty and pleasure of Allah and supporting Allah and His Rasul... They are the truthful!
9. And those who were settled in that city (Medina) and adopted the faith before them (the emigrants) love those who migrate to them. They harbor no desire or need in their hearts for what has been given (to the emigrants). Even if they are needy themselves, they give them (the emigrants) preference over themselves. Those who protect themselves from their own stinginess and ambitions, they are the truly successful ones.
10. Those who come after them say, “Our Rabb, forgive us and our brothers who preceded us in faith and leave no ill thought or emotion in our hearts for the believers... Our Rabb! Indeed, you are the Ra’uf, the Rahim.”
11. Did you not see those two-faced (Jewish hypocrites) who said to their disbelieving brothers from among the people of the book (the Jews of the Banu Nadir tribe), “If you are driven out (of your homes), we will indeed leave with you! And we will never listen to anyone against you! And if they wage war against you, we will indeed help you”... Allah bears witness that they are most certainly liars!
12. If they are driven out (from their homes), they will not leave with them! Indeed, if war is waged against them, they will not help them! And even if they were to help, they would turn their backs and flee! Then they will not be helped.
13. Their fear of you is greater than their fear of Allah! This is because they are a people devoid of understanding.
14. They will fight with you only from within a fortified area and from behind walls... And they have serious problems and issues between themselves... You think they are united, but they are of differing views. This is because they are a people devoid of reason.
15. The example of them (these Jews) is like those who recently tasted the consequences of their deeds (at the Battle of Badr) and for whom there is a severe suffering (in the eternal life to come).
16. (The exemplary state of the Jewish hypocrites is) like the exemplary state of Satan, who says to man, “Deny (cover the reality and delight in the lowest states of corporeality)!” But when (man) denies (his essential reality and becomes blocked in that state) he says, “Indeed, I am disassociated from you! I fear Allah, the Rabb of the worlds.”
17. Thus, in the end, both will be in the Fire, wherein they will abide forever! This is the recompense of the wrongdoers.
18. O believers, protect yourselves from Allah! And let every soul look to what it has put forth for tomorrow (the life after death)! Protect yourselves from Allah! Indeed, Allah, as your creator, is Habir of what you do.
19. And do not be like those who forgot Allah, so He made them forget themselves (their essential reality)... They are the corrupt in faith!
20. Not equal are the people of the Fire and the people of Paradise... The people of Paradise are the attainers of success!
21. Had we revealed this Quran (this truth) upon a mountain (the ego) you would have seen it humbled and shattered to pieces in awe of Allah (the realization of the nothingness of his ego or seeming ‘self’ in respect to the One denoted by the name Allah). And these examples (symbolic language) We present to mankind so that they will contemplate.
22. HU is Allah, there is no god, only HU (as HU is the inner essence of the reality of everything that is perceived)! The Knower of the unknown and the witnessed! HU is the Rahman (the potential of the source of the entire creation; the quantum potential), the Rahim (the One who manifests the infinite qualities denoted by the Names and experiences the world of acts with and through their observation).
23. HU is Allah; there is no god, only HU! (as HU is the inner essence of the reality of everything that is perceived)! HU is the Maleek (the Sovereign One who manifests His Names as he wishes and governs them in the world of acts as He pleases; the One who has providence over all things), the Quddus (the One who is free and beyond being defined, conditioned and limited by His manifest qualities and concepts), the Salam (the One who enables a state of emancipation from the conditions of nature and bodily life and endows the experience of ‘certainty’ [yakeen]), the Mu’min (the One who enables faith and guides individuals to observe their reality), the Muhaymin (the One who observes and protects the manifestations of His Names with His own system), the Aziz (the One whose will to do as He likes, nothing can oppose), the Jabbar (the One whose will is compelling), the Mutakabbir (the One to whom the word ‘I’ exclusively belongs; Absolute ‘I’ness belongs only to Him)! Allah is Subhan (exalted and absolutely pure) from the concepts of god they attribute to Him!
24. HU is Allah, the Khaliq (the One Absolute Creator – the One who brings individuals into the existence from nothingness with His Names), the Bari (the One who fashions all of creation [from micro to macro] with unique functions and designs yet all in conformity with the whole), the Musawwir (the fashioner of forms; the One who exhibits ‘meanings’ as ‘forms’ and devises the mechanism in the perceiver to perceive them); to Him belongs the beautiful Names. Whatever is in the heavens and earth glorify (tasbih) Allah (by manifesting the qualities of the Names comprising their essence, i.e. by actualizing their servitude). HU is the Aziz (the One whose will to do as He likes, nothing can oppose), the Hakim (the One whose power of knowledge appears under the guise of ‘causes’, hence creating causality and leading to the perception of multiplicity).