By the one who is denoted by the name Allah (who created my being with His Names in accord with the meaning of the letter ‘B’), the Rahman, the Rahim.
1. Allah has indeed heard the words of the one who disputes with you about her husband and directs her complaint to Allah. Allah hears your discussion; indeed, Allah is the Sami, the Basir.
2. Those among you who separate themselves from their wives by pronouncing, “To me you are like my mother” (a pagan practice) should know that they (their wives) are not their mothers! Their mothers are only those who gave birth to them! Indeed, they utter an outrageous and baseless word! Indeed, Allah is the Afuw (infinitely forgiving) and the Ghafur.
3. And those who proclaim such things (and separate themselves from their wives) and then go back on what they have claimed (want to reunite with their wives) must free a slave before they can have relations with their wives! This is what you are advised to do... Allah is Habir of what you do (as their creator).
4. He who cannot find a slave to free, must fast for two months consecutively before he can have relations with his wife. And he who is unable (to fast for two months as atonement) must feed sixty needy people... These (laws) are for you to experience your faith in your essential reality, Allah and His Rasul; these are the limits set by Allah. And for those who deny the knowledge of the reality there is severe suffering.
5. Indeed, those who oppose Allah and His Rasul are debased as those before them were debased. Whereas We have indeed disclosed clear signs... There is a humiliating suffering for those who deny the knowledge of the reality.
6. The time will come for Allah to resurrect them all (bring them back to life in a new dimension with a new constitution) and inform them of what they did... Allah had recorded (what became manifest through them), but they have forgotten... Allah is Shahid over all things.
7. Do you not understand that Allah knows everything in the heavens and the earth! There is not a whisper shared between three (people) where He is not the fourth of them... If there were five of them (conversing in privacy) He would be the sixth of them... And whether they are lesser than this or more, and wherever they may be, He is with them (for He comprises their very being with His Names – the unity of existence – non-duality)! Then during Doomsday Allah will inform them of what they did! Indeed, Allah knows all things (as He comprises their essence with His Names).
8. Did you not see those who were forbidden from whispering (hypocrisy; two-facedness) yet returned to that which they were forbidden? They whisper (converse privately) among themselves about villainy, animosity and disobedience to the Rasul... When they (the Jews) come to you, they greet you with what Allah does not greet you, but inside themselves they say, “If what we said was wrong, Allah would have punished us”... Sufficient is Hell for them, to which they will be subject... What a wretched place of return!
Note: Due to the phonetic proximity in their speech, the Jews would deliberately mispronounce certain words and expressions, such as, “as salamu alayka” (salam be to you) as “as samu alayka” which means “death be to you”... To such greetings, the Rasul (saw) would only say “Alaykum” (to you) rather than “wa alaykum” (to you too), denoting that he did not take it upon himself. When Hadhrat Aisha (r.a.) once responded to such greetings by saying, “Death be to you, may the curse and wrath of Allah be upon you”, the Rasul (saw) warned her, “O Aisha... Allah does not like those who say more than what is necessary”, thereby restricting the permissible reaction to an action to the magnitude of that action (preventing reactive behavior).
9. O believers... When you whisper (privately converse) among one another, do not whisper villainy, animosity and disobedience in regards to the Rasul... Whisper in regards to actions that will take you closer (to Allah) and provide protection. Protect yourselves from Allah to whom you will be gathered (and who will subject you to the consequences of your deeds)!
10. Whispering (gossip) is from Satan (satanic/delusive thoughts) to cause grief to the believers! But he (satanic/delusive thoughts) cannot cause any harm to them (the believers), except by the permission of Allah. Let the believers place their trust in Allah.
11. O believers... When you are told, “Make space” in assemblies, make space so that Allah will expand your space! And when you are told, “Arise”, arise so that Allah may raise those who have believed among you and those who were given the knowledge, by degrees. Allah is Habir of what you do. (Habir: The All-aware – The One who is aware of the manifestations of His Names beyond the concept of time and space, as He is the One who brings them into existence from nonexistence with the qualities denoted by His Names.)
12. O believers! Give charity before you engage in a private consultation with the Rasul. This is better and purer for you... But if you do not have the means, then indeed Allah is the Ghafur, the Rahim.
13. You feared to give charity before consulting (the Rasul)... Though you did not do this (due to your stinginess), Allah has accepted your repentance – then establish salat and give alms and obey Allah and His Rasul! Allah is Habir of what you do.
14. Did you see those who befriended people who incurred the wrath of Allah? They are neither of you nor of them; and yet, knowing this, they swear upon a lie.
15. Allah has prepared severe suffering for them... Wretched is what they do!
16. They took their oaths as a cover and prevented from the way of Allah... There is a humiliating suffering for them.
17. Neither their wealth nor their children will avail them against what is to come to them from Allah! They are the people of Hell. And forever they will abide therein.
18. A time will come and Allah will resurrect them all, and they will swear to Allah like they swore to you, thinking they have some basis. Take heed, they are the very liars!
19. Satan (corporeality; the idea of being just the physical body) has overcome them and made them forget the remembrance of Allah (their own reality of which they have been reminded, and that they will abandon their bodies and live eternally as ‘consciousness’ comprised of Allah’s Names!) Those (who are receptive to satanic impulses and think of themselves as only the physical body) are the acquaintances of Satan. Take heed, most assuredly, the partisans of Satan are the very losers!
20. Indeed, those who oppose Allah and His Rasul are among the most abased!
21. Allah has inscribed, “Indeed, I and my Rasuls are prevalent!” Indeed, Allah is the Qawwi, the Aziz.
22. You cannot find the believers in Allah, as their essential reality, and the eternal life to come, befriending those who oppose Allah and His Rasul. Even if they are their fathers, or sons, or brothers, or fellow tribesmen. They are the ones in whose hearts (consciousness) Allah has inscribed (enabled the experience of) faith and strengthened with a Spirit of His own. He will include them into Paradises underneath which rivers flow, where they shall abide forever. Allah is pleased with them and they are pleased with Allah. They are the partisans of Allah... Take heed, indeed, the partisans of Allah are the ones who have succeeded.